Cholbam (cholic acid) capsules
Cholbam is a prescription medicine. It is a bile acid used for
- Treatment of bile acid synthesis disorders (malfunction in the production of bile acid in the liver) due to a lack of a single enzyme responsible for bile acid production
- Treatment (in addition to other treatments) of peroxisomal disorders (a loss of function in important parts of the cell), including Zellweger spectrum disorders, in patients who show signs or symptoms of liver disease, pale stools due to too much fat, or problems resulting from not absorbing certain vitamins (A, D, E, K).
Important Safety Information
CHOLBAM may not be right for you. Before taking CHOLBAM, tell your doctor about:
- All health conditions you may have and any medications you may be taking
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Women who become pregnant during CHOLBAM treatment are encouraged to
- If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed CHOLBAM may not be right for you.
What are the possible side effects of CHOLBAM?
- Serious Side Effects: You will need to undergo laboratory testing periodically while on treatment to assess liver function. CHOLBAM may worsen liver function. Tell your doctor right away if you experience symptoms associated with worsening of liver function (e.g., skin or the whites of eyes turn yellow, urine turns dark or brown [tea colored], pain on the right side of stomach, bleeding or bruising occurs more easily than normal, or increased lethargy). Your doctor will decide if you need to discontinue treatment with CHOLBAM.
- Most Common Side Effects: Diarrhea, acid reflux that damages the lining of the esophagus, discomfort and fatigue, yellowing of skin or eyes, skin lesion, nausea, abdominal pain, formation of growths in the intestinal tract, urinary tract infection, nerve damage causing change in sensation in extremities.
These are not all the possible side effects of CHOLBAM. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Accessing Cholbam in the U.S.
Total Care HUB will continue to service patients while transitioning to Mirum Access Plus (MAP). Total Care HUB is designed to help patients and families navigate the treatment journey by providing support in the following ways:
- Explain the process of getting medication
- Work with dedicated healthcare teams to figure out insurance coverage and eligibility for financial support programs
- Provide education and resources to help patients start and stay on therapy
Total Care HUB
Total Care HUB is a registered
trademark and transitional
of Travere Therapeutics, Inc